All You Need to Know About the Landing Page
What is the landing page for a QR code?
The landing page is the first page that opens when a QR code is scanned. After the landing page loads, the script embedded in it is executed, and the page is then redirected to the destination of the QR code.
Why does a QR code redirect through a landing page?
The redirect is necessary for two reasons:
- To enable the "dynamic" feature of QR codes. Once a QR code is printed, it's impossible to change the link behind it. To change the destination of a QR code after it's printed, we use a unique link that looks up the actual destination from our database. Although the unique link can't be changed after the QR code is printed, the destination can be changed anytime, making the QR code "dynamic."
- To track QR code scans. There's no way to track scans if a QR code goes directly to its destination. By redirecting through the landing page, we can track scans, as well as other features like tracking location of scans and preventing scams.
What is the landing page for my shop?
Once you install our app, a Shopify page is generated in your store and used as the landing page for your QR codes. The content of this page is automatically generated. Like with every other page in your shop, you can customize the content of the page. Just make sure not to delete the script responsible for the redirect. To access the link to this page, click on the "Settings" sub-menu of our app and look for it in the "Redirect page" section.
If you'd prefer to use your home page as the landing page, you can do so by following these steps:
- Click on the "Settings" sub-menu of our app.
- Select the radio button labeled "Use your home."
- Click on "Activate theme extension" and then click "Save" button in the editor that opens.
What are the benefits of using you home page as the landing page?
There are several benefits to using your home page as the landing page for your QR codes:
- The QR code image is simpler. The complexity of a QR code depends 100% on the length of the URL behind it. As the URL for using your home page as the landing page is much shorter than using a Shopify page, the QR code image is simpler and easier to read, especially for small sizes.
- Better user experience. It's less confusing for your customers to see your home page than a Shopify page. They'll also have a better sense of what your store is about and what you offer.
- More reliable. Sometimes the Shopify page may be deleted or the content may not be rendered correctly because of the default template. However, there is no such problem when using your home page as the landing page.
- No impact on your store. The script responsible for the redirect is injected into your store by the theme extension and has no impact on the loading speed of your store.
Can I completely remove the landing page?
Yes, you can. If you don't want the QR code to redirect through a landing page, you can remove it entirely.
Here's how to do it:
- Click on the "Settings" sub-menu of our app.
- Select the radio button labeled "No landing page."
- You're ready to go. By default, it will use our domain, but you can still use your own domain by setting the CNAME of your sub-domain.
But wait, didn't you say that the redirect is necessary?
Yes, we did. That's why it uses our domain by default. Even without a landing page, there is still a redirect because it opens the unique link first. However, the redirect happens in the backend, instead of the frontend when using a landing page, so there's no pause for the customers.
Why do I need to pay for removing the landing page?
We understand that customers have the best experience with no landing page, but there are a few reasons why we charge for this feature:
- Setting up the CNAME to remove the landing page is not as straightforward as using the default or home page. As a result, we often need to provide extra support to ensure that everything is set up correctly.
- To ensure that all traffic goes through HTTPS and that customer data is safe, we need to pay for a third-party service to enable HTTPS for subdomains that don't belong to us.
We strive to provide the best possible service to our customers, and the fees we charge help us cover the costs of providing this service.
Why do my customers see a 404 page before redirecting?
The page generated by our app is used as the landing page for your QR codes. If this page is deleted from your Shopify domain, it will show a 404 page when the QR code is scanned. If this happens, please contact us and we can regenerate the page for you.
Why isn't there a redirect after landing?
The landing page is there, but the redirect doesn't happen. We have seen this happen with some of our customers, and it's usually because the default template is not set up correctly, so the content of the page is not rendered. If this happens, please make sure your default template is configured correctly to render the actual content of the page. If you're unsure how to fix this issue, we suggest using your home page as the landing page instead. This is a more reliable and simpler option.
Why doesn't the landing page of my QR codes change after I change the landing page type?
As mentioned previously, the link behind a QR code cannot be changed once it's been printed. Any changes you make to the landing page will only affect new QR codes or those that have not been downloaded yet. To make the changes take effect, you'll need to download and print the QR code again after you change the landing page type.